Empatico now has a video feature for remote classrooms!
Requirements of the Empatico Meet video feature
Group size: Up to 12 students from each class can sign into the video meeting link from any location with internet access.
- If you have more than 12 students, you can divide your class into groups and have multiple video meetings with your partner class to ensure all students participate. Or you can choose to use another video tool and follow these guidelines.
- Device requirements: Laptop, desktop or tablet (cannot use mobile devices yet)
- If you are using an older tablet or a tablet that is running on outdated hardware, you may have difficulty loading video calls with more than six students in each class.
How to lead a remote video meeting with your partner class
- Decide with your partner teacher if you’ll use Empatico’s video tool or another video tool.
- Schedule a date and time with your partner teacher for the class-to-class video meeting by discussing together and sending a meeting invitation.
- Share the meeting link with students: If you are choosing Zoom, Google Meet, or other video tools, please share the meeting information with your students; If you are choosing Empatico Meet to connect, you will see your unique meeting link and passcode on your messages tab, which you can share with your students so they can join their partner class video meeting from any location with internet.
If you choose to use another video tool, follow these guidelines on using other video tools on the Empatico platform.
- At the time of the meeting: In your dashboard, click the video meeting link on the invitation or start a new meeting and enter the video meeting link.
Students will copy and paste the meeting link into their Internet browser and enter the passcode to join the meeting. Once you enter the call, you will also see an option to copy the meeting link and passcode to send to your students in case you haven’t already or for some reason need to resend the information.
Safety Features for Students Joining Meetings Remotely on Empatico Meet
Student safety is our top priority at Empatico, so we’ve included these safety features in the video meeting process:
- Students cannot access the meeting link unless their respective teacher is present in the meeting. If they click on the meeting link and enter the passcode before their respective teacher has entered, they will be placed on hold. Once their teacher has entered the meeting, students who are placed on hold will automatically be entered into the call.
- When a teacher leaves the meeting, their respective students will be removed from the call if the teacher does not return within 20 seconds. After students are removed, they are unable to enter again unless their teacher returns to the meeting.
- The meeting link cannot be accessed without entering the correct passcode.
- The meeting link and passcodes are unique to each teacher.
- Students are automatically muted upon entering the meeting. Teachers have administrative controls to mute and unmute any student in the call. Students do not have control to mute others, but can mute and unmute themselves.
- Students will not have an Empatico account and they will not have access to any other Empatico services or applications. There are no buttons or menu options for students to navigate away from the video call.
Keywords: remote, remote learning, distance learning, safety, video conferencing